Ships of Peace
- The Ships of Peace
- Certificate awarded to Miss Isaac's Class for collecting a sum exceeding five shillings for the
Missionary Ship "John Williams" and other boats belonging to the London Missionary Society.
- 8 April 1928
- 165 x 203mm (6½ x 8in)
Awarding school children this colourful certificate for collecting pennies in the classroom towards the funding of missionary ships not only recognises their achievement but also teaches them to reach out and help others.
The London Missionary Society was founded in 1795 to spread the knowledge of Christ to the non-Christian people of the world. John Williams was born in London in 1796 and became a celebrated missionary martyr when he and a fellow missionary died at the hands of natives on the islands of the New Hebrides in 1839.
In memory of his pioneering work and unflinching devotion to the cause for which he gave his life the London Missionary Society named their new ship after him which had been "purchased and equipped from a fund raised by the juvenile friends of that institution".
Launched on the 20 March 1844 the John Williams was built at the Royal Navy Yard, Harwich. In subsequent years six further ships carried his name, the last one John Williams VII
being removed from service in 1968.