- Band of Hope Pledge Card of Ernest Knight, 30 November, 1888
- Chromolithography and manuscript
- Printed by Campbell & Tudhope, Glasgow & London
- 142 x 197mm (5½ x 7¾in)
- The Band of Hope, a society founded to protect children from the undesirable
effects of alcohol, originated in Leeds, England in 1847.
- ‘Signing the pledge’ was an innovative way to encourage people to drink no
intoxicants, except for medicinal or sacramental purposes.
- The pledge is worded:
- I Promise by Divine Assistance to abstain from all intoxicating Liquors as
beverages and discountenance all the causes and practices of Intemperance.
This regular feature shows special items from members own collections.
Submissions by email should include a scan of the item.